Friday, July 22, 2011

Hearst Castle

Something Billy and I have always wanted to do was to visit Hearst Castle, and we finally did!!!

Think what you will about W.R. Hearst, I think Julia Morgan deserves more credit than he does. She was a 47 year old woman, 4'11 under 100 pounds and the first female architect. After asking many male architects to come build his dream home and hearing "no" everytime... Julia told Hearst yes. (I learned about her in the movie we got to see) What a pioneer, I love women like her!




If you ask the girls about what they did that day, all they will talk about is the bus ride! It was their first, and they LOVED it!




Can you see her excitement!?!!!
The main entrance, that you don't go through anymore.


The ceilings were my favorite part. This was all Julia!

Sophie wanted ice cold water and ice cream...
Noone is too good for paper napkins and condiments!
This mosiac was from the 18th century and is why you don't use the main entrance.
Look at the size of that fireplace!
again with the tears...
Here is his dining room, he had the table made thin/small so that his guests would talk to eachother. He sat at the head of the table and the longer you were a guest there the further down the table you would move.
The billiards room:
The front room:
The movie theatre, also the first place Snow White was seen!
The ceiling in the billiards room, again, amazing! It was made in 1492.

The view wasn't too shabby!


The guest cottages:
And then the pools:
So incredibly amazing!
The tennis courts were on top of the pool.
The unfinished area of the house:

The Neptune Pool:

See the lights? I want to come do an evening tour just to see this!







1 comment:

B.T.B.B. said...

It looks like your summer travels have been sooooo fun! We headed out that way two summers ago and I've been jonesin' for a trip back!