Monday, October 03, 2011

BelIEve

It's been 3 weeks since I decided I was sick and tired of feeling and looking the way I do.  So I made some changes.  I go to Jazzercise 4 times a week and boot camp 1 day.  I've started to feel stronger and I have to admit I love it!  On Friday the 30th my sister asked me to join her team from work at the BelIEve walk to benefit Breast Cancer Awareness.  I thought it would be fun, so I said yes.  I thought it was a 5k, but on Saturday I found out it was a 10k...  I was still excited to do it though!  I've never done anything like this, so I will admit I was nervous.  I just wanted to finish, I did not want to quit.  I talked with my friend Heidi (because she's superwoman and a runner) about setting a time goal,  we decided to try and do each mile in 15 minutes. 

I'm glad that I only had to wait 2 days, I woke up way early on Sunday (nerves/excitement) kissed Billy goodbye and took off!  When Erin and I got there there was this electricity in the air, it was amazing to be apart of such an event, there were atleast 10,000 people there and I know they made hundreds of thousands of dollars.  And as I stood in line for my number I kept thinking about how this was such a good thing for me, and how I would benefit from all of this... then this sweet old man walked by, he had a huge walking stick with pink ribbons and was wearing a pink shirt that said "I'm walking in memory of my love" and I started bawling (it still makes me cry) and all of a sudden it was so much bigger than me.

We had a great team!  I went with the University of Redlands, there were four of us who did the 10k everyone else did the 5 or was really far behind us...  not sure.  (One lady from our 4 was supercharged, she ended up meeting us at the end we couldn't have kept up if we tried)  but Erin, Mike and I kept our pace steady the whole time.  My big toes went through my socks about a mile into it, so I had to walk a little funny, but determination is a funny thing!  We stopped so Erin could get a rock out of her shoe and one time we went back and helped a lady who fell and one time we slowed up a bit to talk with a man who is turning 84 on October 4 and was participating in his 79th event! 

So after a little bit of slowing, I convinced them to run for a bit to make up time.  We finished in 92 minutes, which ended up being 15:30 a mile... so a little over, but I did it!  I actually did it!  I feel great!  My feet hurt a little, but I feel good enough to do Jazzercise today!  The only true bummer is that when I got home I saw the Sophie cut her hair off...

I can't wait to do another event, the only thing that would have made it any better was to have had my hubby and kids at the finish line!

2 comments:

Angie Peterson said...

Wow, you are awesome Katie! You inspire me, I need to start doing something, too. Having babies really does a number on women, huh?

B.T.B.B. said...

Woo Hoo! Katie you are amazing! You can do anything!