Half way done with my Master's!!! On my way out of class, our professor, the best professor I have ever had by far, handed us a piece of paper. I thought I would share it with you.
Jay's Maxims for a Successful Career in Education
1. Love your work. Let your work reflect that love.
2. Every staff member/student/parent is yours! The one who gives you fits is the one who needs you the most.
3. Create positive relationships. They are going to enrich your life in many ways.
4. Think about the long-term impact of your decisions.
5. Grow professionally.
6. Admit to your fallibility.
7. Provide and expect quality.
8. Walk the talk. Lead with humility and gratitude.
9. Do the difficult things well.
10. Choose a mentor/Be a mentor
11. Remember that your worst day is incredibly precious!
Anyway, take it or leave it, but I thought it was pretty cool. This guy, Dr. Hoffman, is an extremely successful educator and a definite mentor for myself. I still remember going to class after one particular rotten day, and Dr. Hoffman looked at me and said, "Having a rotten day is better than not having a day." I was certainly put in my place.
Sunday, August 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment