Monday, May 05, 2008

Dad's stuff


This past weekend we had a garage sale to get rid of a lot of my dads tools and other junk that was taking over the garage at my mom's house. So I spent a lot of last week going through some really sweet memories. I only took a few more things. I took a picture of the two of us that he had by his bed, a quilt that my grandma had made for me then I was a kid, its awesome, it was made out of clothes she and my grandpa wore. Its a real treasure to me. And I also took my dads old motorcycle helmet and goggles. I can't remember what year its from, but these are what the original ones look like. How innovative was he, if only he had used his idea of electrical tape over his face piece and commercialized it we could be bazillionaires! Just kidding, but I love this helmet, I know how happy it made him and those are the memories I want in my house.
Oh, back to the yard sale. (By the way, those are really hard work I don't recommend having one to anyone) So I was totally unsure about selling off his stuff, I hate saying goodbye to it. But a bunch of people who knew him came out in droves to pick up stuff and there were a couple of young men opening up their own refrigeration businesses and they were excited to start out using his tools. So I was dealing with it better than I thought.
Then at the end of the day I was out picking up the signs I had put up when I looked up the street and there was this man, in a white t-shirt, 501's and crazy white hair practicing casting using my dads fishing pole that he had bought from us that morning. It made me cry, then and now... my dad did that. So its just proof, life goes on, his "stuff" is making people happy and we can now park cars in the garage with ease.

No comments: