Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I am horrified!

I have had two really fun days, yesterday was a big party day in our fam. We had two anniversary's and two birthday's and we went to the one party we were invited to. I'll post pics of that later. Then tonight we went out to celebrate Billy's interview. So you'd think nothing could spoil this... well I read this article on the Internet. Its about how breast fed babies are smarter than formula fed babies. I am so freaking tired of hearing this. Are they really going to tell me that my kid is not smart, because everyone who knows my Lia knows that she is a freaking smart kid, probably a genius! And my Sophie is right there with her.

And its not my choice to formula feed either. I DO NOT PRODUCE MILK. Its as simple as that. And the way the hospital treated me and sent me to a specialist clinic and the stuff they put me and Lia through was ridiculous. The nurses threw away pacifiers, they told me to never feed her formula, she would just have to wait.... it was awful. I was a neurotic mess, it was terrible for Billy to watch and most importantly we had a starving baby! And I tried and tried for about 2 months... nothing. I think its great that mothers can nurse and if it works for you than I wish I was you because we're going broke buying formula. I just wish that stuff like this wouldn't make me feel like I'm a bad mom/person because my baby was not breastfed.

But the real salt in the would from this article was this:

“They tend to be smarter. They tend to be more invested in their babies. They tend to interact with them more closely. They may be the kind of mothers who read to their kids more, who spend more time with their kids, who play with them more,” added Kramer, who led the study published in the journal Archives of General Psychiatry.

I would LOVE to meet the people who wrote this article. I think their ASSUMPTIONS are so totally unfair and I would love to meet all of the people they tested.


What is everyones opinion????

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK...so even thought I breastfed ALL 4 of my kids and Jordyn is still attached to me at the boob...I agree with you. As a nurse, I see how the nurses in Postpartum treat the Mom's who wish to bottle feed or who simply can't breastfeed like my poor milkless friend Katie!! I don't think that kids that are bottle fed are any less smart than those who are breastfed and I don't think that their Mom's are worse mom's because of it. I obviously feel that breastfeeding is best for many reasons but women should not be made to feel awful because they choose not to or can't breastfeed. Everyone has their reason and it shouldn't matter what it is. Millions of people have been bottle fed and are perfectly fine. I would love to find a list of "smart" people in this world who were not breastfed! Maybe I'll research it for you Katie! I love you my friend with the broken boobies!!

Billy and Katie said...

THAT IS WHY I LOVE VALERIE!!!

Jannah said...

I just have to comment on this one, even if you don’t know who I am (Billy’s old roommate Devin’s wife). I think that article is just ridiculous! Sure we know breast is best, but that doesn’t mean those who are bottle fed are starting out with a disadvantage. And I don’t care if you bottle feed or breastfeed, it has nothing to do with whether you read to your kids or spend quality time with them. I wouldn’t let this article bother you; I bet if we got my breastfed kids and your bottle fed kids together we wouldn’t be able to tell a difference! Your girls obviously have two parents that adore them, that in itself, I feel, will give them more of an advantage in life than whether they were breastfed or not!

Stjerne said...

I agree with you. I had the opposite experience at the hospital when I had Emily. I wanted to breastfeed, but since she wasnt gaining weight...they told me to feed her formula. I refused! For 18 months she didnt gain the weight they thought she should and kept telling me not to breastfeed her. Finally, they told me she is just petite and left me alone. Lots of kids that are fed formula are extremly intellegent. I am sure they just say that just to get more women to breastfeed. It is not the end of the world if you dont breastfeed. Some women just dont like it. I am trying to wean my 18 month old and it isnt going very well.

Brooke and Tami said...

I think it was a man's opinion that breast is best. You know what I'm talking about. As far as the article goes, everyone that writes their different opinions (and that's exactly what it is- AN OPINION) has there own agenda. Maybe for this person the agenda was to make him or herself feel important. Hey look at me, I wrote this article, and it was published. The great thing is, we don't have to agree with such a bone- headed opinion. Don't EVER let any Bone-headed researcher/writer make you feel less of a mother/woman/person/and so on. You are a fantastic mother with very bright children! Don't ever forget that.

Kristy C said...

I am right with you on this one!
I chose NOT to breastfeed.......I have no regrets at all. My son is very bright and healthy and has had no problems. Gillian , even though she was teeny tiny-I pumped for 2 weeks and it way too much for me-so I quit. Again-no regrets and other than some preemie issues she is perfectly healthy. I think there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with bottle feeding and I too am sick of seeing articles like that! ARGH!!ITs been a peeve of mine for years. Glad to see I am not alone :)

Ginny said...

I know I'm a little late on this topic, but I can't help it- you are SO RIGHT, & SO NOT ALONE on this one. In fact- Sarina was bottle-fed & forming sentences by 2 yrs., but my breastfed Ethan (whom I adore), is 18 mo. old & still calls Steve 'mama'....how's that for irony? :) So DITTO to all previous comments!