Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I won't ever say "It couldn't happen to me" again!

This morning was nuts! The library up here has a person who will come to your house and do sharing time and leave an enrichment kit with you for two weeks, so today was the first day of that. Lia loved it and was having such a good time with her friends. Then we packed up and headed over to the library with everyone to do the program they offer there.
Its all the usual as we load up strollers and kids into the elevator and go to the second floor. I turn my back for one second to grab the stroller and I see my friend lunge forward and scream "NOOOOOOOOOO" Lia had put her hand on the door and it got sucked into the pocket! It took it in almost to the wrist bone! I had both hands on the door trying to pull it back to release it, my friend was doing the same and pushing every button she could trying to release it... nothing was working. I thought Lia was going to pull her hand off of her arm she was tugging so hard trying to release it. The poor librarian was so panicked! She was yelling at anyone to "go call 911, get the fire department shut the power off." Then some dumb, idiotic lame o' was trying to get on the elevator and go down stairs, those of you who know me know I'm pretty nice and am not very rude... well I was yelling at his lady "GET OFF! GET OUT OF HERE!!! GET OUT GET OUT GET OUT!!!!" she finally realized what was going on and left. Seriously how dumb can you be?!
Anyway after almost a minute (one of the longest minutes in my life!!!) either the door gave up or I karate chopped it hard enough to release her and I took her to extended care, nothing is broken, some minor ligament damage and is VERY swollen and sore. I'm just glad to have such caring friends to help me help my daughter and they also watched Sophie while I took Lia to the Dr.
Today's lesson:
STAY AWAY FROM ELEVATOR DOORS! And remember it CAN happen to you! geesh.

5 comments:

The Carroll's said...

I am so sorry! glad to hear that she is ok, minus a little bruising. Poor thing!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh!! Katie, that is INSANE!! I'm sooo happy that nothing worse happened...I cannot believe that crazy person trying to get on with you during all that! She (and you!!!) must be so traumatized!:(

Sarah Rock said...

You do have an amazing life. Referring to the last post. Your kids are so cute and you are a great mommy. Can I just say. I would be so panicked if this ever happens to me that she probably would loose her hand or something. Good job.

Thenforcer said...

Oh Katie my herat goes out to you. I am so glad all is well. Things like that can be so scary and it is amazing how we get that super mother strength when our children are in danger or being hurt. Take care super MOM

Brooke and Tami said...

Man O Man! I'm so sorry that this happened. I hope her hand has a quick recovery, and that she doesn't suffer to much pain. Way to karate chop the crap out of that elevator door. Hi-yah!