Friday, January 06, 2012

Letter to my Grandma

I had the opportunity to speak at my Grandma's graveside service, some family asked me to post what I'd said, here it is:
(please excuse all typo's and grammatical errors)
Dear Grandma,
For the last 2 weeks I have been trying to figure out just how to tell our family and friends how much I love you and how truly grateful I am to be your granddaughter.  Finally I realized the one person I wanted to know exactly how I felt about you, was you and I decided to write this letter.
Since your passing we all have received sweet messages, cards and phone calls, and  there has been one constant theme, the words used to define you are; love, loved, loving and lovely.  And I truly can think of no better way to describe you.
In the Bible we are taught that true Christlike like love is defined as charity.  And we read in 1st Corinthians 13 4-8
4 aCharity bsuffereth long, and is ckind; charity denvieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
 5 Doth not behave itself aunseemly, seeketh not her bown, is not easily cprovoked, thinketh no evil;
 6 Rejoiceth not in ainiquity, but rejoiceth in the btruth;
 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 8 Charity never afaileth:
This is the exact love you have shown to all of us during your 87 years of life.  You never failed us.  You taught us to endure all things, to be kind, to love what you have, to not be selfish, to be happy, to be honest and good and above all have faith.
Grandma, thank you for always being there.  I cannot think of one major event or minor that you did not attend as I was growing up.  You supported my mom as she finished her education so that she could take care of her family.  You made our dinners, helped us with our homework and did our laundry.  I always loved it when you cooked because you always made dessert.  And the one project I remember the most was in the 6th grade when you let me interview you for a project about the great depression.  I loved that your family did not struggle like most.  You lived on a farm and grew your own food and being the 11th of 12 children you were used to hand-me downs and homemade clothes. 
Your battle with our laundry still makes me laugh.  You have so many friends and are so loved… but you do have one enemy.  Bleach.  We would always find random bleach marks.  I called you Houdini because they would magically appear.  You even bleached that beautiful smoky topaz ring and turned it back into a yellow topaz. 
You taught me that even though Grandma’s love their grandchildren so very much, they love their own children even more.  I learned that when I was being an awful teenager and was telling you how mad I was at my mom because she wouldn’t buy me a shirt I REALLY wanted, you pointed your finger at me and in a stern voice said “That is my daughter and you will not talk about her that way.”  And I never said anything like that to you ever again.  Ever.
As kids we all loved visiting you.  Your family dinners that were full of laughs, good food, games, hot tea in what I thought were the most  beautiful tea cups and ended with the grandkids doing the dishes were the best.    We loved  playing table tennis in the backyard, you trying to teach us how to golf, hanging laundry in the far back, picking lemons from your trees and then juicing them to make lemonade, getting to spend the night and playing hotel and you catering to each one of us.  Erin and I loved getting dressed up in your dresses and eating soft boiled eggs, apricot tarts and lemon meringue pies.
You have taken care of all of us here today in one way or another.  In a family with many different personalities and opinions, there is one thing that we could all agree on, and that was you.  Your happiness was what mattered to us, because we all knew that our happiness mattered to you.
When I got the message that you had passed, my heart became instantly  full.  Memories like the ones like I’ve shared have been flooding my mind.  I hate that you had to endure such an awful disease.  It started taking you from us over the past few years and I wish there was something that I could have done to make it stop.  It broke my heart that you were getting hurt so often.
I am glad that you are with Grandpa, and your other loved ones who have passed before.  I know that it is where you want to be.  When I finally got the courage to tell Lia that you had passed, through her  tears she said “I’m glad Heavenly Father will have someone to snuggle with now.”
Today I will make you a promise and ask everyone else here to do the same: 
I promise to be kinder, more loving, proud of who I am, a better spouse and parent and I will always, always have more dessert.
God be with you till we meet again grandma, you will be in my heart forever.

No comments: