About 3 months ago, I got this group of 4 girls in my class. They were causing havoc in their other class, so they were sent to mine because I am known as somewhat of a disciplinarian. After a month or so they realized that they weren't going to way with anything in my class, so they whined and complained. The Administration, not being able to withstand the whining of 7th graders, gave in and moved all but one of them from my class. The one that is left is the biggest brat on earth. She is upset that her friends got to leave but she didn't, so all she does everyday for the past few months is plop down in her seat, fold her arms, and pout. She will not talk, make I contact, or do any work. Whenever I ask her a question, she'll look at the person next to her and ask "Que dijo?" which is translated to be "What did he say?" Obviously, I thought, not only is this girl a brat, but she doesn't speak a word of English. That was until I talked with one of her other teachers.
I was visiting with her Social Studies teacher one day and somehow we got on the topic of this girl, and I mentioned the fact that she didn't speak any English. The Social Studies teacher looked at me like I was joking, and then asked if I was serious. I said that I was and she started laughing. Not only did this girl speak English, but she was the most fluent girl in her class. Needless to say, I was certainly taken back, but I didn't quite know what to do with the new information.
Fast forward to yesterday: I was especially annoyed with this girl, and finally I snapped. I asked her, "Why do you sit there a pout? Why do you even bother coming to class?" Predicatably, she turned to the student next to her and asked, "Que dijo?" I knew I had her where I wanted her. "Melissa, cut the crap! I know you speak English. Not only do you speak English, but your History teacher informs me that you speak the best English of anyone in class. So would you like to drop the phoney baloney story now, or would you like me to do it for you?" I have never literally seen the blood drain out of someones face before. It was great, and I must admit that I have never been so proud of myself before in my life. Of course I would have been prouder if I had figured out her little plan sooner, but those 7th graders are tricky I tell you.
Thursday, March 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
you tell that 7th grader what's up!
did you
did you really say phoney baloney?
Being a fellow teacher it's probably a good idea not to use the word "crap" in our profession.
Post a Comment