I'm on day 3 of keeping a more positive attitude. So far it's been great! I think my girls are more relaxed and having a ton more fun. This morning after Lia came to get me out of bed we spent 15 minutes watching this GIGANTIC preying mantis walk across the screendoor. (it was outside) and then we watched Marley play with it. I could have easily smacked it off the door on my way to the laundry room and not mentioned it to Lia, but I knew she would be amazed by the size of it. And we had fun until Marley squashed it.
Then after she was all settled and watching a cartoon I checked my email, and this is what was in my inbox. I loved every word and thought that I would share. It is from my Aunt to me, it wasn't a generic pep-talk, and it meant the world to me and I am so lucky to have such inspired people in my life!
A little preface- She know's I've been struggling/panicking about taking care of 3 babies 3 and under plus a home and most importantly a husband. She raised 8 kids in the home she built with my Grandpa, creates beautiful things with her hands and is very in tune with the Spirit.
Mother's Lecture 999
I have some thoughts.
First - We were born to be better. The Lord does not want us to fail. He wants us to grow, succeed and be happy. He also wants us to be an example to those around us of his Love and Goodness. He never gives us more than we can bear. He knows us better than we know ourselves. Just like when you tell your girls they can & they cry that they cannot - but you know they can and so you push them into new areas of learning. The Lord will send Angels to go before you.
Second - Steps come one at a time. Don't make it harder than it is and remember what is important and what brings peace to your home. Going shopping with friends and family and rushing kids to go here and there may bring a minute of fun - but - maybe a picnic in the backyard with a fun story or game brings a memory of peace and fun. Pick and choose your battles and your memories. A friend told me she was in the sandbox with her oldest, 2 girls sleeping were asleep & 2 boys were crying in their beds. She told her oldest she needed to go to them, he begged her to stay with him. She checked the boys - they were not hurt, just mad & crying. Her oldest was five and asked her again to stay - she said she went and took care of the boys while he stayed in the sand box. When she told me this story, he was about 19 - she said to this days I can see his little face and here his words - stay with me. She said I should have let those boys cry until they feel asleep or passed out and stayed with him. My thought is that you will have choices between two or more things that are not right or wrong - just different - choose wisely. I have used this story as a guide many times. My Dad used to say - Will it matter in 100 years?
Third - I believe that we made covenants to our children and others before we came to earth. I also believe that many times our children were our teachers. They gave us the instructions we would need here on earth to help the get back to Heavenly Father. Your baby is counting on you. Your Dad, Grandma & Grandpa's and all the others who have lived are counting on you and there to support you in any way they can. You were taught and given the tools you would need here on earth to do the job you came to do. We don't always do it right, but we usually get better at it.Days will be hard and tears will flow, don't focus on what others are not doing to make it easier for you. Take a deep breath and ask the Lord to help you see clearly the way you can make things better for you and those around you. You promised your children you would love the, teach them and never give up on them. Everything you do each day is your choice of how to accomplish just that.Enough of my lecture, your are wonderful girl with talents unlimited. Your are smart and pretty and the Lord & your Family are counting on you to do what you covenanted to do. Don't ever let Satan win - he would love for you to think this task is too hard and you are not strong enough to do it. Tell him out loud if you have to, to go pick on some other Mother, because you are not listening.
Love to You,Auntie
I really needed that third part. I've been trying to live by Sister Hinckley's quote:
“I don’t want to drive up to the pearly gates of heaven in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor’s children.I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone’s garden.I want to be there with children’s sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.”
I'm glad I've posted this on here, I don't want to loose any of these words. And like President Hinckley said "Try a little harder to be a little better"... that's not asking too much is it???
Here's to the "NEW ME"
Friday, September 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Love it, Katie. You are an inspiration.
Pretty awesome!
Thanks Katie! I needed to hear that. Sarina (Leighton's Sister)
Make me cry already!! Man, this is GREAT! I want to copy it and print it out and stick on....my forehead! Since I'm always doing too much and my poor girls get neglected sometimes (mommy-time neglected....not call social services neglected :) Anyhoo....Thanks, your auntie is a smart woman :)
Oh I feel all that!! Especially the story of the little boy, a few days ago Topher kept asking me to play and as I sat down with him the phone rang, and he was patient for about 15 minutes and then he told me "Mom, it's not phone time, it's Topher time!" Break my heart will you!
P.S. You'll do great with 3!! My laundry seems to pile up a little more, and I have to let some things go (have you seen my car lately?!?) but in the end it's managable and I love having 3!
Post a Comment