Despite what many of you may expect me to do, I'm not going to trash the Pope. I geninuely believe he was a good guy and that the world is a better place because he was here. With that said, all the funeral buisness has made me even more grateful to be a member of the church. Allow me to explain: I was watching CNN the other day and they were talking about possible successors to Pope John Paul II, and the commentator said that he expected the new Pope to be much more liberal, and as a consequence that Catholic Church would follow. I was struck by this. In essence, the doctrine of the church is determined by the Pope, and can change from Pope to Pope. How grateful we should be that the doctrine of our church is not dictated by any person, but by God. It doesn't matter who the prophet happens to be, the doctrine will remain the same unless God deems that it needs to be changed. I don't mean to be all philosophical or to offend anyone, but I am indeed grateful to be a member of the LDS church and know that even if the prophet or one of its leaders dies, the church will continue on its current course.
Anyway, changing topics, we had a fun time tonight. A neat couple in our ward with two young kids invited us over to their house for dinner and to play some games. When we got the invitation we were very surprised because hardly anyone invites strangers over for dinner for the purpose of getting to know them better. Let's face it, most people are more like....uh....well, US. Anyway, it was good to get out of our shell for a night and get to know some super neat people. However, the thing I always hate about these things is I wonder what people think about us as a couple. Are we normal, or great, or weird, or disfunctional? I guess I shouldn't care what people think, but I'm curious to know how others perceive us. I guess if they avoid us for the next 3 years, we have our answer, don't we?
Saturday, April 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I agree with many of your points. What I was trying to say was this: When a prophet for the LDS church dies and another one is chosen, you don't see any commentator's on TV caring if he is a Democrat or Republican, if he liberal or conservative, pro-choice or pro-life, and I could go on and on. But it is pretty much a given that the new prophet will continue the church in the same direction it was already going.
Those who claim the the LDS church has never changed are idiots. Of course it has changed. If there was no change we would have no need for a living prophet.
The structure and organization of the church must occasionally adapt and change so that it can thrive in the world in which it finds itself. However, you will find that the essential doctrine has remained intact to this day.
That dude missed the religion war a couple of summers ago. Let's not have another one.
[sigh] Yeah, those were the good ol' days.
Post a Comment