Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Awareness Experiment

"To be more aware of the condition of our hearts and with that awareness to keep them more open towards others.
To do this in the normal course of our lives, in other words, not put any extra activities into our day - no extra visits, no preparing of casseroles etc. Above all, people were not to become 'projects', and our lives were not to be filled with more things to do.
Notice the Spirit, and be willing to come together and honestly report back what happened or hadn't happened."

This was a hand out that my mom received in her ward. I LOVED IT! Its so true that we only reach out to others when they are sick, when there is a death or a new baby. I will always sign up to take a dinner or what ever is asked. But I am the first to admit, that is where it stops. I never stopped to think that maybe when that baby is 2 weeks old, and the mom is not sleeping and laundry is piling up and her house is a mess I never stop to think "oh, maybe I should call to see if there is anything I can do to help".... in a way knowing people usually never accept help, so again, I'm off the hook.

Having 2 babies has made me worse I think, not that I don't try to do what I can, but I know I don't do as much as I could.

After reading Valerie and Tammie's posts on friendship, it has made me think. I say we all should live by one of my favorite quotes by one of my favorite people"

"Try a little harder to be a little better."

hmmmmmmm, where do I start? I like Valerie's washer and dryer... maybe I'll offer to help her with that, but I'll have to throw my 15 loads in with hers :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Katie!! I know I can always ask you for help...I just don't because I don't want to burden anyone who already has a platefull with my 4 kiddos or my housework that I should be able to do on my own! And I hate to ask for help...I guess I need to work on that.

Tammie said...

Wow, you have another friend who has 4 little ones? I thought I was the only CRAZY one!!
It is so hard, we all get so wrapped up in everyday life that we forget to stop and truely be a good friend.

M and M said...

Well, you help me just by talking to me on the phone, so maybe its just the little things that mean a lot to the recipient anyway, right?